Thursday, November 08, 2012

What Bloomin' Good Are You To The Kingdom?

Good morning as Winter Storm Brutus threatens the north country! I guess someone decided to start naming the winter storms this year. It could be useful for 'grampa' stories someday. This storm is supposed to track to the north of us, but we are to expect some cold weather from its passage. Today, let us take a little test. You are saved by Christ, but what good are you and me to the kingdom of God?

A large stack of numbers appears before you on the whiteboard. Can you add them up in a glance? Me neither, and after adding them up in the grade school way I would still need to check and recheck the total. Alright, how about a different area. Are you a real door knocker, a natural sales talent who can convince anyone of anything? Nope, in fact I hate the thought of doing that particular activity. Hmm, maybe another area. Does your singing voice soar to powerful notes that make congregations whisper 'amen' so as not to disturb the other listeners? No, my voice might make some folks say 'amen' at the end of a prayer, or more likely, ask the sound engineer to turn up the volume a bit, but I'm not going to win any of those talent show awards anytime soon. Powerful writing? Well, maybe in my case, but someone needs to read it. I can't write just for myself. Some of us do have a skill or talent to offer, but God can always do it better. So what good is any of us to the kingdom? Well, perhaps we should quit looking at my opinion or your opinion and get God's word on that.

To get you and me into His kingdom, God sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross. Whoa, I don't know if my little offering is of much value, but the sacrifice God gave is certainly of paramount worth! Your employer may not show much value on your paycheck for your contribution to the company, but God certainly put a high price on us. We may not feel that our offering to the church is a great amount, but Jesus gave all to get us into His church. I'm starting to feel pretty valuable here! God would not pay such a great price for something of no value. We may want to take God's opinion before we call ourselves worthless.

Bucky

No comments: