Monday, November 05, 2012

Directions: Insert Money

God's great love goes out to you today. This morning while walking in the downtown area of our little town, I came upon a very basic set of instructions. The first one was: Insert Money. Obviously this didn't get vetted by some marketing department. It is likely in this town that no large chain owns the business and the sign was done by hand some evening at the owner's home. However, I thought that this instruction pretty much sums up the world we live in, at least in this nation and almost all others right now. Then another thought came to me: what if I have in the not nearly distant enough past sent up a prayer to God that basically said that very thing?

Dear Heavenly Father, I hold up this sign with my needs and desires, and could you please read this instruction back to me - Directions: Insert Money. Sounds very self-centered, but I have been guilty in so many words of doing just that. Like a marketing department, I might try to hide the last line behind something else like a 'please swipe card' instruction. That one doesn't sound like you are spending money, does it? Swiping a card sounds like you might be taking a card from the top of the deck in a game for your turn. Dear God, please swipe your card and proceed to fulfill my wants and needs, thank you! Now that you have been forewarned, it still sounds very self-centered with just a touch of assumption. There is good news in this though.

Learning that a problem exists between me and God is a big part of the battle with the forces of this world. Now, I can ask forgiveness, bring the problem before God, and ask for mercy and wisdom in this matter. God's love never left me, and His love will not leave you either. As we look away from our selfish interest and look up to God, we may see Him holding up a sign too - Directions: Trust in Me!

God bless you all on this great day in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: