Thursday, October 23, 2008

Trust and Pray - October 23, 2008

Good Thursday morning! Oh that election keeps getting closer and the hollerin' in the media is almost deafening now. I am glad that U.S. presidential elections only occur every fourth year. Another great Bible study last night! How can we think that God will not take care of us in light of the lessons in Daniel? I wouldn't have to tread far out on a limb to say that none of us have been tossed into a fiery furnace or lowered into a den of lions recently. If our Lord can stop a bunch of hungry lions from devouring a free meal and save 3 young men from certain death in flames, He certainly can save us from the common perils of this time.

The media is once again full of bad news about the economy, some of it coming from computers. Once a computer is programmed to send out a foreclosure letter when certain conditions are fulfilled, then it becomes difficult to get it stopped. One thing we all wonder is, who will they sell all these foreclosed homes to? I don't know, but it sure seems silly to simply continue throwing everyone out of their homes and letting houses stand empty. Perhaps some compromise can be reached between the lending institutions, some of which are soon to receive government money (our money!), and the buyers having trouble with payments due to high fuel prices (and gas is still not "cheap"), losing jobs, and high grocery prices. A lot of prayer seems to be the only, and best, answer to our problems. Trust in Jesus!

At last night's Bible study, I met another of the victims of Cabela's recent cutbacks. This young man is trying to get back on at Cabela's, but he heard many of the same things that I did. Why you? More evidence that the decision was made far away from the actual operations of the company. I will pray that he does find another position. Each of us must listen to the Lord and follow the way that He would have us to go. Some will try to go back to work in another job, others will move on in a different direction. Each choice is right for someone, as long as we follow the Holy Spirit and allow Jesus to direct our steps.

I have noticed already that writing a novel is not a solitary enterprise. Yes, much of writing can be done at home on the computer. However, when it comes to research, there are many sources all around me that can offer knowledge. I asked for help last night and checked out two books from the church library in response to my request. I will try the Sidney Public Library later this week. Another book sale tomorrow, I will pray for the Lord's help to find some more resources. A writer must learn much to write a book. When I decided upon a circuit preacher character for my novel, I quickly found that I knew little about the circuit riding preachers of the Old West. Time to hit the books again!


Take a moment to enjoy God's grace today,

Bucky

No comments: