Monday, October 13, 2008

A New Columbus Day - October 13, 2008

Good Monday morning, and a Happy Columbus Day to you! This morning felt very much like I am retired from the normal working world. I do believe that this is the first Columbus Day that I have celebrated off of work since my days in the Marines some 22 years ago. Back in 1986, with no active conflict going on for the US, we were off on every holiday except Halloween. October 31 was hardly missed given that we took off Labor Day, Columbus Day, Marine Corps Birthday & Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day, all in four months. Few businesses recognize all of those holidays, and some don't take any of them off. Last week felt more like an absence due to illness; I had worked until Tuesday morning, felt terrible, and was paid through the end of the week. This week the change is beginning to sink in and my outlook is full of the possibilities of this new life. The sky is with me as it looks like the clouds are breaking up and that we will see some sunshine today.

Do we see the brighter side of the economy yet? That I do not know. I still believe that we need a lot less fear and a lot more trust in God across this whole country. I hear too much good news from my industry contacts to believe that things are as bad as the media is saying. Many stocks are suffering losses where there should be none, and I am still suspicious of this short-selling thing. Oh well, I can't rush out to sell all my stocks anyway; I kept all those links on my pc at work, and I am still trying to remember or figure out my financial links. I guess that is one good way to keep yourself from panic selling! :-) The one link I figured out, I cannot remember my login and password. I am laughing about this though you may not be able to tell from the e-mail!

Yesterday I was blessed with some truly wonderful and encouraging messages. Ministers everywhere will be addressing this atmosphere of fear across the world, and no group of ministers is better than those who serve Jesus. The world governments have their prime ministers and their financial ministers, but the real answer to an atmosphere of seemingly overwhelming fear is found in Jesus. In this time and crisis, I agree with our financial advisers, be patient and renew your hope. Those financial advisers may be secular, but we know that the strength for patience and the source of hope is found in our Lord, Christ Jesus!

Now comes the real problem... I need to come up with a really good, excuse me, bad antagonist for my novel ideas. How to do that when Jesus is pouring hope and joy into my heart! I suppose that I will just have to ask for guidance in that too. ;-) Bucky

No comments: