Sunday, October 26, 2008

Starting Slowly - October 26, 2008

Good Sunday morning! This morning, a slow walk to celebrate Sunday. Often I tend to think that I must walk fast, even run, to achieve a goal; physical, mental, or spiritual. However, we are told to wait on the Lord, in other words to achieve patience. I enjoyed the slow walking this morning; using the time to think and mull over things. In response to the new situation that I find myself in, I want to run to achieve new goals. The problem with that lies in running in the wrong direction. A lot of effort and energy could be wasted in running down the path that does not lead to the goals that I have brought before God. Wait on the Lord, follow the Lord, walk with the Lord, these are all phrases that we need to remember before charging off on our own. We are an achieving species in the natural, and there is nothing wrong with achievement. However, God would have us achieve the tasks and goals that He knows are best for us and for His kingdom. Charging off on our own may very well achieve much, but will the goals achieved help us or hurt us? Let us all resolve this day to follow the Lord and wait on His calling. This will not be easy; the world calls us to do, achieve, go, run, and other action words. We may work our way up to running for the Lord, but let us wait for Him to bring us to that point.

In writing this each morning, I note well that in giving to others, I am also "coaching" myself through the words given to me by the Holy Spirit. Great is the Lord! One of the most difficult things to counsel your own self in is... patience. Compare that to how easy it is for us to counsel others in that very quality. You may counsel me in every quality the Holy Spirit leads you. Try not to be mean about it; I might cry and call you mean. Thinking back to my slow walk this morning, I cannot recall a single regretful or angry thought about my former situation. Starting the day in that manner is a victory in Christ!

God loves you and so do I!

Bucky

No comments: