Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Light at the End of the Valley - October 18, 2008

Good Saturday morning! I didn't mention it until now, but earlier this week the 700th devotional was posted on the blog. I began writing this 2-3 years before that, probably should have written the date somewhere for future posterity, but I didn't. Ah well, the anniversary date of this devotional is not so important, writing for the Lord is!

This morning I am struck by the image of a little child fighting against the much stronger hand of his father. The father knows that the best road for the child is ahead, with great rewards and joy. However, the child fights to go back to the familiar and his comfort zone. At the moment, the child feels the pain of being torn out of his comfort zone, and at times it seems this will never end. However, the father with his longer point of view and wisdom does not relent. Yes, the child is me in this case and the father is Jesus. Anyone have a use for a pillar of salt? :) Praise the Lord for his forgiveness and grace in putting up with my looking back at this time.

As I hear about and from some of the others, I stop to pray for them often. Strange as it may seem to this world, I pray for the company too. It would be sad, I think, if putting us through all of this did the company no good at all.

I know that at some point, you will be tired of hearing about this event, and I will be tired of writing about it. However, less than two weeks has passed and the event is certainly traumatic for both the persons directly involved, and those affected indirectly. I see that one of the local home builders has thrown the "for sale" sign up on his home. This is sad too as he must compete with not only the homes of others leaving the area, but those that his firm has built and remain available on the market. Let us not forget that our brother in Christ, Jeff Einspahr, would also like to sell the homes that he has remodeled. The community is and will be deeply affected by this. However, our Lord is more powerful than any corporation or economy! Remember this daily and raise your head to heaven.

I am resolved today to make this the best Christmas ever for me. Yes, I am listening to Christmas carols on the stereo right now, no since stopping what I love to do! The question is: how do I set about making this the best ever? I have in the past made large purchases, Christmas presents to myself and others, but this has not made any one Christmas stand out over another. Anyone can run out and throw around a bunch of loot these days, mostly on their credit cards. It would seem that this is not the way to make this Christmas a "best ever." Feel free to throw out some suggestions on this effort of mine. Perhaps some simple gifts to those I care about who are still stuck in Cabela's? Yes, I did say "stuck". I am in agreement with those of you who have told me that in a year I will think this the best thing the company ever did for me. However, it doesn't yet feel that way! :-) Praise God for His healing grace and comforting hand upon me in this dark valley. Hmmm, writing this devotional sure is fun; is that a light I see at the end of this valley?

God is with you always!

Bucky

No comments: