Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bold in Faith - October 25, 2008

Good Saturday morning! I went splat on my walk today; it would seem that the city has hopes of growing the walking path during the freezing weather of late October. Let that be a warning to me to find a different route until the watering is stopped for the winter. The contusions can serve as a reminder in the morning. Did the little lobster fellow make it yesterday? I saw that the emoticons did not copy to the blog posting, and they may not make the transition to other e-mail systems.

I see quite a few folks up and moving around already this morning, must be the start of pheasant season out here. I will probably start during the week. Why fight the weekend crowd when you have all week? Deer season will be much the same for me, let everyone else compete for the weekend and I'll go out during the week! Sometimes we win by not being like everyone else. I thought about this today while out walking.

In my old job, not even 3 weeks and it's already the "old" job, I had developed certain habits, some of them bad. Today, I thought that this would be a good time to start over. A new career, how about some new habits for this life? One of my excuses for not eating right was the dreaded on-call week that arrived every 6 weeks or so. Well, no worries about that now! I have also put off exercising at times due to getting up too late or needing to be back to work for some task or other... again, no worries about that now! Time for a fresh start.

At times in our lives, we may be given a chance to make big changes. In my case, I have been freed from a major impediment to these big changes. Others have experienced the same thing through retirement or an involuntary termination, such as mine was. In either case, the dregs of the old life must be left behind and the new cup full of possibility and blessing come to our lips. My transition is made more graceful through a generous severance package and the fact that I had 328 hours of vacation built up, blessings 1 and 2 on the list! Why the numbers? When we suffer a life changing event, we may get down and depressed. One way to fight that is to start listing the blessings. In the world we like to say that every cloud has a silver lining. Lining? There's a whole blue sky behind that cloud in my life; I just need to have some endurance and the strength of Jesus to fight through that little cloud. Not seeking a new job is a bold step, but we have been told many times that we should be bold in Christ. I am being bold in faith, because from this side I cannot see the working of God's great plan for me. However, in faith we move forward in hope and look back only to learn from the past, never to yearn for it. Lesson 1, no job or institution on this earth is our source of food and clothing, only God is the ultimate provider of all that we need. He can work through an employer, or customers, or through other means, we need only be patient, and grateful when the blessings come.

Ah, Saturday morning! I wonder if any of the cartoons I once watched are still on? Probably not, or worse, they are part of some "classic" cartoon show.

Enjoy the blessings of our Lord today!

Bucky

No comments: