Saturday, March 14, 2009

Time and Patience - March 14, 2009

Good Saturday morning! Well, you might recall the possibility of another game between Sidney and Scottsbluff down in Lincoln that I mentioned yesterday. That possibility required both of them to win their games yesterday. Of course, the other possibility, the one I didn't want to mention, would be for both of them to lose yesterday's games and meet for the consolation game today. Alas, they both lost and will meet at noon for the consolation game. We'll blame Jeff for that; obviously he didn't cheer hard enough or grabbed the ball and tried to help out or something. :-) Old folks aren't allowed on the court.

Speaking of slightly-older-than-Jeff folks, that would be me in case you didn't get up too early on this fine Saturday, I did get up early enough to catch Wild West Tech at 0700 this morning. The show was about one of my favorites, the trains of the Old West. Did you know that in 1830 there were only 28 miles of track in the United States? By the end of the century over 200,000 miles of track had been laid down. That's a lot of rail, spikes, gravel, and ties... not to mention a whole lot of hard labor. Many of the things we are called to do will take time, effort, and patience. At this time, many of us have become accustomed to getting something very quickly, and I am one of those. However, God works on His own schedule, and when we are called to do something in Christ we had better get used to things arriving in God's timing. The hard part about that is that it might not mean now, or today, or even the next day, each of us may have to learn to wait on God. Learning and changing are two activities that may seem very slow in our new life in Christ. However, as we are assured by Paul in Philippians, God will complete the good work He began in us.

Why did the subject of waiting and patience come up this morning? I have written at times of my frustration with my own slow pace and difficulty in getting my writing career underway. Much of the problem has to do with ignorance. How long should it take to write a novel? How about 2 at the same time? I don't know. Does a writer write every day or are there periods of intense production followed by periods of little or no inspiration? I don't know. However, I am learning and one thing I learned this week is that my plans may not always be in line with God's plans. This week, on Thursday, one of my characters got saved. Certainly you might raise an eyebrow at this. I'm writing the story; how does it happen that I didn't know this would happen? I don't know, but it did! Actually, I think it's a good sign that the stories are starting to write themselves. Perhaps I am learning to listen to the Holy Spirit more and that is translating into better and faster writing; that would be a good thing. ... and then on Friday, I accomplished nothing as I was sick all day. How can that be a good thing? Well, when we have a victory in Christ, you can bet that obstacles will be thrown up by the enemy in a hurry. Our enemy does not want to see us spread the Good News and that is what I want to do with my writing. Jesus will see me through, or over, or around those obstacles. Praise the Lord for His guiding hand!

Bucky

No comments: