Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful Gratitude - November 25, 2008

Good morning! I have noticed that one of the keys to gratitude is contentment, and that one of the keys to contentment... is gratitude! Wow, how did I arrive at this seemingly unhelpful insight? Something like this: in order to be content, it helps to start by thanking God for what we have. This exercise helps me every day. Looking at some far away "greener" pasture only brings one to thinking about what he or she does not have. However, thinking about what one has already, brings a person to thanking God for the many things that he or she already has. Many things? Some people cannot think of many things, but perhaps there is one thing that a person can build on. Sick, ill, diseased, your health is just completely shot and you are bed ridden? Then thank God that you have a bed to ride! Here is one for all of us right now... broke, job not secure, economy in the tank, and the retirement fund rapidly dwindling? Thank God for having a job, no matter how insecure it may seem, and thank Him for the little bit of money in your pocket, or bank account, or wherever it might be. Starting with gratitude for what I have, I can always come to the realization that I have much to be thankful for, and that in turn brings me contentment. If I am already content, then I can just start thanking God for everything!

A new deer season opens on Monday, black powder this time. I will see if my deer magic is still working. I must say that it worked perfectly throughout the firearm season. Yup, not one sighting of a deer in all my hunting. A friend saw one at a distance, but I couldn't see but a vague shape that might have been a deer, and it was way too far away to shoot at.

Think that the hunting/shooting thing is all bad? You might want to gander at one of the latest trends to be reported. Instead of holding the traditional drinking/stripper bachelor/bachelorette party, many folks are now going on shooting excursions. I read this in Outdoor Life yesterday in case you want to check out the article, page 18 of the December/January issue. A move away from the drunken/sexual thing is good news; let the young groom or bride keep their sexual interest on their life partner.

Be careful as many of you will be getting on the road for Thanksgiving tomorrow. The moderate fuel prices will enable many more people to go on the road this year. Pray for the safety of all travelers this weekend. And have a wonderful and thankful Thanksgiving yourself!

Bucky

No comments: