Friday, November 28, 2008

Dependence and Gratitude - November 28, 2008

Good Friday morning! A little late today, but I am up, cleaned up, and the guests are on the way to their next visit. We enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving feast yesterday, and I hope that you did too. For those of you back at work today, I am sorry to hear that, and I hope that the rest of you are out shopping the big sales if that is what you like to do. I am doing a little cleanup and getting back to writing today. Did you take the time to give thanks yesterday? We did, and I think that made the dinner that much better.

A book on the Pinkerton's detective agency was needed to further my research and I received it this week. What is the first thing to notice? That Allan Pinkerton proclaimed himself atheist in a letter to his son. A person can be successful, even very successful, in this world without believing in Jesus. I don't think that will come as a surprise to any of us, the Bible speaks about that very point. However, success in this world is just that. What happens in the next life? What happens when the books of judgement are opened? How awful would it be to come before the Lord and report, "Lord, I was a huge success in life." Only to have the Lord ask, "But did you believe in me?" or perhaps worse, "Who are you?" Success in this world is nice, but it brings no glory to God if a person is a self-made success, or at least believes only in himself. We know very well that there are no self-made success stories; all of us depend to some degree upon someone else, usually a lot of someone elses. No infant can raise his or her own self for one thing. Joyful it is to know that our success depends upon the grace and providence of God Almighty! Knowing that God has brought us up to where we are is the first step to that simple and heartfelt expression of gratitude, "Thank you, Lord!"

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

Bucky

No comments: