Saturday, November 22, 2008

New Good Habits - November 22, 2008

Good Saturday morning! No, I am not out hunting yet this morning. I still like to go to Wal-Mart, and then another store or two early on a Saturday morning. My deer magic is working full force this year; I have not seen a deer yet, much less shot at one. I shall have to use that in my novels! Faith in God gives us the ability to see opportunities where others would only see problems. Did you know the Union Pacific railroad went into bankruptcy in 1893? I didn't until doing some research yesterday for my stories. The things one can learn in a day is truly amazing. Now I just need to learn to apply myself for a full day...

... speaking of which, the advice I received about keeping something at hand to write with is all too true. I filled the back of a paper place mat with notes yesterday while waiting for my burger to arrive. Bogey's (up at the golf course) has a fairly decent cheeseburger by the way. This brings me to the point today about good advice. The Bible is full of it. Good advice that is. Not just the Gospels or Proverbs, but every book and every chapter holds good advice for our benefit. The commandments were not given for God's benefit; they were given for our benefit. Solomon, the man God granted wisdom to at his own request, collected proverbs for the benefit of all of us. Jesus gave instruction through short sayings that we can remember easily in the Beatitudes, and also told us entertaining parables to drive home important points. So, why then are we so stubborn about good advice, as in the case of my sitting down to wait without my laptop, voice recorder, or at least paper to write on? I did have a pen; praise God for that!

Good habits can take time to form. In my former world involving one of those job things, I didn't want to sit down at a restaurant and think of work or jot notes about my projects at the workplace. I didn't take the time to form a habit of keeping something close by to write with. I recognize the good advice, but must pray and concentrate on forming a new good habit. The journey from our salvation to our sanctification will take a lot of forming new good habits. Only God can give us the strength and perseverance to do this over the long road we must walk. Trust in Him and work on those good habits daily!

Praise God for the wonderful weather today!

Bucky

No comments: