Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Right to Go On - November 16, 2008

Good Sunday morning! Have you ever viewed or heard Lee Strobel give his talk on the case for Christ? Wow, what a wonderful message! This man was an atheist when he took up the task of investigating Christianity. What he found in Jesus is the same thing that all of us have found in Him. However, Lee has been called to speak for Christ and he does a wonderful job. You can find out more at www.leestrobel.com.

Praise, glory, and honor to our Lord Almighty on this fine Sunday! Is the road that I am on the right one for me? I have so many ideas for writing that it would seem a terrible waste to not put them to use. In this world, we are faced with many choices. The wisdom of the world says to do this or that. In my case, the wisdom of the world is to rush out and get another job, any job, just to start earning money in the normal way again. However, a calling from God may be at odds with the conventional wisdom of the world. Faith is taking the steps down the path that God has called us to follow. Unbelief is doing what the world says when it is at odds with what we know God has said.

A sales rep from the University of Phoenix called me this past week wanting to know if I was ready to start my Master's program. Again the wisdom of the world says to go that way. However, unlike the time when a manager suggested that I go back to school in the undergraduate program, I do not have that feeling that this is what God wants me to do. The funny part was when I said "no", he said that I was just enjoying the benefits of my degree. When I said, "no", again and tried to tell him that I had in fact been laid off last month, the rep went on as though I had said just what he wanted to hear. The world can be a funny place at times. Perhaps that story isn't as funny to you; it could be a "had to be there" moment. :-)

Today I am actually taking some time to write this. Most days a half hour is enough to write the devotional, but today is one of those days when it comes out a little bit at a time. I am thinking of how much time Joseph had when thrown into prison after a false accusation to think the wrong kind of thoughts. He might have been tempted to ask God what had happened and that he did not deserve this. In unemployment, those kind of thoughts can come to us all. Actually, the Accuser will whisper those kind of thoughts to us at any time things do not go as well as we expect. I think that in a year I will look back and wonder at my self-defeating thoughts during this time. I will wonder that I ever thought that I was unemployed. The day I left Cabela's; I began writing. The amount of writing was not much at that time; certainly no book came from a few days of writing just a little each day. However, we will remember that the first steps on a new journey were taken and your support helped me through a tough time.

What gives a person such as me or you a right to spread God's holy word through whatever method or means that we feel compelled to do so? When we come to believe in Jesus, it isn't a right as much as it is a command from our Lord. Whether called to minister in song, speech, or writing, we simply cannot stop. Today there is a multitude of ways to get the word out, and a multitude working to spread the Good News. We love each other and we love to support each other in our efforts. Praise God for our brothers and sisters in Christ!

Hallelujah for the day!

Bucky

No comments: