Sunday, January 28, 2007

January 28, 2007

Good Sunday morning! I am glad to be safely in the hands of the Almighty God of Heaven. The day is dawning and already the contrails of jets trace across the sky. I often wonder who it is that must fly so early on a Sunday morning; do they have access to a church service on their flight? At one time, I was one of those on some of the Sunday morning planes. We often drove to Denver in the dark of a Sunday morning, and took one of those early flights eastward to yet another Cabela’s location. That part of the past I do not care to repeat. Rushing about and measuring my own importance against the perceived importance of my job came to an end some years ago and I thank God for that. Too many people are still lost in that maze; if their job importance is diminished or their job lost, they are crushed. An important job is a blessing from God, but he does not consider us important because we hold an important job. We are precious to God just as we are. Jesus did not die on the cross to get us important jobs or the acclamation of man. We are so important to our God that he came down to earth in human form and died in our place. He, who was blameless, died with the sins of many upon him. How important do you feel now? I don’t know about you, but that makes me feel like the most important person on the earth! Serve well in your job, but don’t let it or its importance be the basis of your life in Christ.
This type of devotional comes almost always during one of my on-call weeks. We get the calls from those who simply must get on the network remotely at all hours of the day or night, their job is so important and by extension they are so important too. I just want to comfort them at those times and remind them that Jesus is important and where we will spend eternity is the question that should be asked. However, the moment is important with respect to their job, so I assist them as quickly as possible and pray for them at the same time. No, I did not get one of those late in the night or early in the morning calls, praise God for looking out for me, but the thought of our tender egos and how they can be damaged if we place too much weight on the importance of our jobs, came to mind this morning. The prayers of each of us for the other can help us all in this regard.

May God grant us all humility.

Bucky

No comments: