Thursday, August 08, 2013

Thoughts Like Insane Fireworks

The sun is shining brightly over the fog brewing in the river valley. Birds tweet and coo, and the cat has not yet realized that I am home to pester with her call from outside the door. Peace reigns outside, but inside thoughts like insane fireworks zoom and fizzle in my mind. Thoughts centered on God our Heavenly Father are not like this. Those thoughts are more like the big, beautiful fireworks the volunteer firemen set off for Independence Day. One at a time, blooming and bursting in the sky of the mind, the thoughts centered in God's grace paint images of unity, beauty, love, and joy. My idle thoughts are more like fireworks gone crazy.

Oops, gave away my presence with a rude noise, now the cat noise from outside starts up. Might as well put on the breakfast, it won't make the noise any worse (The cat noise, what were you thinking?) The Holy Spirit is right here in me. No matter how far off the narrow way my thoughts go, God's Spirit can bring them back to Him. I am not in this alone, as I so often forget. Not only does the Spirit remind me of God's word, the Spirit will take the time to lovingly remind me that a power greater than my own is here dwelling within my heart. That is good news on this peaceful day!

We find it easy in the busy, busy times or the lonely sojourn to forget that we are never alone and never limited to just the means and strength we possess. God's strength of will and encouragement of heart are right here today, if we will take a moment to think on our Lord and ask for the help we need. Thoughts may wander, but help to remember the glory and presence of God our Father is here in us in the present moment. Let us think on God and not worry alone in the dark. Amen.

Bucky

No comments: