Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Faith For The Feel Bad

Is it a real sickness or condition, or did I just wake up feeling bad? When Paul reminded us to give thanks to God in all circumstances, did he mean this one specifically? Are you sure Jesus wouldn't give me an exception to my thanksgiving when I feel ill? You and I have asked questions like these since we first gave our lives to Christ. Some days just do not begin with that feeling that we can accomplish anything through Christ who strengthens us. Getting up is a major victory, going anywhere at all out of the question, and praising God for this feeling seems a little peculiar to say the least. Yet Paul was not unacquainted with pain and suffering.

Paul endured a stoning, being left for dead by the stoners, and lived to write more great letters. However, the understatement we often find in the Bible leaves out what may have been months of recovery from concussion and other broken bones. And after that and other incidents, Paul said to give thanks in all circumstances. The apostle probably stopped looking at his pain for a moment, and realized what God had done for him. I'm alive: I can feel pain, or those illin' feelings, or emotional distress, or even a burst of gratitude that God has given me another day to preach, or write, or perhaps Paul had to do his first dictation to Luke because his hands were too broken to write. Somewhere in the suffering, Paul found cause to give thanks to God. It takes faith to do that, faith for the feel bad.

Certainly there are days when I wish that Jesus had promised how good we would feel in this life every day. But Jesus promised instead that we would have tribulation in this world. Faith looks forward to the day when all of this tribulation will be over, and that is a promise of Jesus. Until that time, each day may bring more of some tribulation, or an entirely new one for us to enjoy in faith. Emotionally or physically, the tribulation may make us feel bad, and that is where we must apply faith and give thanks to God.

Lord, I feel bad today, but thank you for being here with me in all circumstances. Thank you for managing every circumstance so that it is never too much for me to endure. Thank you, Lord, that I am alive to feel bad. For the dead feel nothing, not even the great hope we have in Christ Jesus. I know dear Lord that in all of this You are strengthening my faith in Your providence.

Bucky

No comments: