Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Happy Thanksgiving! We have made it to another day of giving thanks to the Lord for what we have been granted through the year. In our discussion forum in this class, we were asked what our favorite holiday is. It might come as a complete shock to you that mine is Christmas, or perhaps that isn't so shocking. :-) Another student noted Thanksgiving as his favorite, and do you know why? It is a secular holiday. I suppose in a secular celebration of giving thanks, you thank your friends, family, employer, ...and then leave out God. Once I believed in Jesus, I could not give thanks without thanking the creator of all things for my blessings. Today I even thought of the most difficult thing to thank God for. What did I come up with? Thank you, Lord, for my life just as it is. After a bit, it settled on me just how difficult we find that. No wantings for this, that, or the other thing at Wal-mart, no wishes for the many changes that we wish would happen, just a simple "Thank You" to the Lord for what is in our lives right now. We are constantly looking forward and off to the sides of the path that Jesus leads us on. The Apostle Paul had learned to be content, whether in feast or famine, wealth or poverty, and we too need to learn contentment, and that starts with a heartfelt "Thank You!" for life, just as it is now.

Thank You, Lord Jesus for my life and your life, just as it is now, may we have your peace this day of Thanksgiving.

Bucky

No comments: