Thursday, September 05, 2013

The Fog of the World

Good Thursday in this hot month of Aug... wait, the month changed, why didn't the heat wave go away? The weather since about the one year point of my stay here in Julesburg seems very much like the weather when I arrived. I guess you can blame me for the heat wave. Not sure if that makes any sense or not, but you might need someone to blame.

Last night, I thought of going forward in faith. We want to go forward in knowledge. That is, knowledge of what is going to happen tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. This lust after knowledge probably began with the partaking by a couple of naked folks way back in the first days of the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Ever since that time, we have wanted to go forward in knowledge so that we can control our lives. However, how much control really do we have over tomorrow? Right, none at all.

Instead, we are to go forward in faith, and faith seems a lot like walking into a big fog bank. I can imagine my Savior's hand in mine, but I don't actually feel it. The fog of the world is so thick, and my eyes so experienced at seeing only this world, that faith seems to tell me nothing about tomorrow. Why do I feel lost? Probably because I am one of those lost sheep that Jesus came to save. I am walking around lost in the fog, bleating my little sheep head off, and hoping for a view of the road ahead. Then I hear a voice from the past. The voice of scripture says, "Let me tell you about God's provision for today...and don't worry about tomorrow." BLEAT, BLEAT, BLEAT! goes the little lost sheep. I still want to know about tomorrow.

Of course, we are to walk with Jesus, our Lord and Shepherd, today. Jesus gathers His flock of lost little sheeps and we walk with Him in the day, not the next day or one down the road, but today. The fog of the world swirls around us so thick that it's hard for us to see even the other sheep. We walk in faith that Jesus will keep His flock together, for we cannot with our limited vision. We walk in faith that Jesus will bring us to the rest at the end of the day. That voice from past scripture speaks once more, "I will be with you always, even to the end of the age!" And we recognize the voice of our Savior making happy little lost sheeps like us.

Have a great day in Christ Jesus,
Bucky

No comments: