Saturday, January 17, 2009

Saying the Right Thing - January 17, 2009

Good Saturday morning! Do you keep a file of past moments in your head? You know the ones. Those moments when you really cut loose with a stupid question or statement that didn't seem dumb at the time, but later made you writhe in mental agony. Yes, me too. I often wonder why those moments are so easy to recall, and then I remember that we have help with that. The Accuser does more than try to condemn us before God, as though that were not bad enough, he also whispers reminders of those little moments in our minds. Want to go comfort someone? That little whisper will remind you of the time... "Oh, you're no good at comforting, remember when you told Joe that awful joke after his father had just died?" The voice will forget to remind you that at the time you had no way of knowing that ol' Joe had suffered a death in the family, or that Joe might even have appreciated the attempt at levity during a dark time in his life. Of course, Joe may not have appreciated the attempt until 6 months later, but we do sometimes make the odd or inappropriate comment. The problem comes not with a "stupid" remark now and again, but in the remorse we feel time and time again.

If we need to seek reconciliation with another person, we must do so as soon as possible. However, I find that most of the memories whispered to me are long forgotten by the other persons involved. As we learn to think before we speak, the frequency of insensitive remarks drops way down. As we learn to listen in love, the Holy Spirit can stop us from blurting out those painful remarks. It is hard to blurt out something when you are listening to the other person's troubles with a loving heart. Why all this discussion of saying the right or wrong thing? I am making a trip this morning with a former co-worker; one I am growing closer to with the fact that we no longer work together. I want to allow the Holy Spirit to use me this morning to say the right thing(s). I am concerned that this old friend has all the confidence in the world in himself, and does not believe in Jesus. Pray for me in this if you will. It has already been impressed on my heart that listening is the key here.

Have a great and blessed weekend in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: