Saturday, October 06, 2007

October 6, 2007

Good Afternoon! I am getting going just a bit late on the writing and homework, but I did get a haircut and help out at work. This class has proven more difficult than I anticipated. It is interesting how we base our assumptions and anticipations on not enough or no evidence at all. How would I know how difficult this particular class would be? I have never taken it before and only have the assurance of a previous student that all of the undergraduate classes are easy. I should be suspicious that all of his former classes were easy; either he is an academic genius or all of the classes seem easy when they are finished. It has been the same in many instances in my and your life I know. For example, I knew nothing about Marine boot camp, yet arrived with a bag of assumptions about how it would be and how well I would perform. Needless to say that I was proven wrong about a great many things, and quickly too!

Jesus told us to count the cost before following Him, and what is that cost? The houses, cars, money, and other material possessions that we have? I don't know about you, but I didn't have to take a vow of poverty to believe. What about friends, you and I may have to give up friends to follow Christ. Especially if those friends like to hang out at places that we should not go to, or do things that Jesus commanded us not to. Some may have given up jobs, fame, family, and friends. Some may have lost all of their material positions and reputation among men. There may be a price, but we gain so much in Jesus! The rich, young ruler in the Bible was asked to give up all his material possessions and give to the poor. We may not be asked to do that; each relationship in Jesus in personal.

Personal, there is a thought. We have been placed in and identified with so many groups in our lifetime that it is almost alien to us that Jesus would know each of us personally and lead us on the way to the Father individually. Actually it is very foreign to the world to have a personal savior. Take a look at religion and note how it is up to the follower to perform in order to gain the attention of a distant deity. A relationship with God himself; now there's a concept that is at odds with the world!

God bless you this fine weekend,

Bucky

No comments: