Monday, May 02, 2016

Old Age Stalking Me!

The day we celebrate my birthday must be one of...fleeing for the hills! Old age is stalking me! The Old Man Winter of Years is coming for me! Moses may have had that in mind when he wrote the 90th Psalm:

The days of our lives are seventy years;
​​And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
​​Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
​​For it is soon cut off, and we fly away. (v 10)

We don't get a lot of time on this earth, but Jesus had even less. As of today, I have exceeded the time Jesus had for His ministry by about 20 years. The temptation might be to ask what I have done with this time, given that we live in a sort of meritocracy where achievements are placed on our resume while friends and relationships are not. However, Jesus saved me; I cannot in any way save Him, and that must discount the fact that He needs no salvation. What I have done with my 53 years is dependent upon Him. Of course, I first have to get out of His way.

Indeed, since our Lord does not force salvation or sanctification on anyone, the obstacle most often in the way of His work in me is me. And I am still learning just how much I can get in the way of the Lord's healing, saving, and sanctifying work. The flesh calls out daily with its lusts. The tempters gather round me like a flock of hungry crows; they flutter about whispering of sin and just waiting for me to fall. Yes, old age is not the only thing stalking me. However, Jesus was there first and He was always here with me even in the years I wandered far. As the downhill side of life slides on by, I still wait for that great day when He shall bring us home!

Have a happy birthday on me!
Bucky

No comments: