Thursday, May 26, 2016

Good News Today

We dread the bad news of the day. We sometimes feel that our only similarity to poor Job's story is the messengers with their news all of woe. Losses, diseases, disasters, and grief are the burden for us and nothing can convince us of that final part of Job - his communication and correction by God. In time Job was restored to house, health, herds, and lands. He had more children and (we hope) enjoyed a life of gratitude for his many blessings. "Sure, and that will happen to me when?" our unbelief mocks the very goodness of God. Before all of that blessed restoration though, Job heard from God.

We too question God in so many ways, but does any one of us, even the great Job, deserve to hear from God when we are in that grumbling state of mind? With a series of unanswerable questions, the Lord brings Job back to humility and the narrow way. As soon as I can answer every one of those questions beginning in Job 38, I figure that I will have the right to grumble again. Not much chance of that when God asked questions like: "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth?" (Job 38:4) That's not one question I picked out from the bunch, that's the first question, and I 'm lost in even attempting to answer that one. Any answer at all would have to come from God's word, and I could not take credit for an answer given to me by the Questioner Himself.

So, I heard from God to expect good news today. There is no sense in continuing down the road of grumbly-hatefulness, so you and me might as well listen to the Lord's goodness and trust completely in His lovingkindness. When He says "good news", let us not expect bad news or some compromising mixture of good news and bad news, but the good news that flows from the love our Lord has for His children. Amen!

Bucky

No comments: