Wednesday, May 04, 2016

The Hand of God at Work

I saw the hand of God at work yesterday. No, I didn't literally see a disembodied hand as Belshazzar saw writing on a wall while he served wine in the Lord's golden glasses at his feast. However, I did see that the Lord had moved people and things and me as well in His mighty way. Of course without belief in Jesus and His saving grace, I could never have seen these things. Like the world, I would have attributed what I saw to chance or luck or some foreign deity of wood or stone. I have no special vision of the Lord's workings without first having faith in Christ, and even that faith is enabled by and given to me by the Spirit of the Holy God. There just is no reason for me to boast of me when I am held in Christ!

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:8-10)

Paul saw the same thing at work and pointed out that great truth: we are His workmanship, and that gives us no reason to boast of ourselves. If we must boast of ourselves, Paul gave us another famous passage: 2 Corinthians 12:9. There we get to boast of something about ourselves - our infirmities! After a couple of afternoons working to clean out an abandoned home, I feel a few of those infirmities myself this morning.

Have a righteous day in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: