Thursday, October 02, 2014

Not My Idea of Heaven

Good morning on this Thursday! I've said it twice, therefore it must be true. Today is Thursday. So, why then was there a moment of doubt? Those slippery days! I hope I can get ahold of them better in Heaven. Hmm, maybe and maybe not. We like to spend a lot of time imagining what Heaven will be like. Most of our ideas of Heaven are some cure for what is going on here in this life, or some extension of this life. The extension part is when we think that there will always be plenty of our favorite chocolate in Heaven or perhaps we'll have two puppies in place of one and they'll be puppies forever. We would most likely be saddened to receive the news that there will be no puppies or chocolate in Heaven. I don't know that, but such a thing is possible. Many are left wondering by the words of Jesus when He said that there would be no marriage in Heaven. Could it be that much of what we consider, sorry for the pun, heavenly here, will not be in Heaven at all? Maybe and then again, maybe not.

You see I have a basic problem with my idea of Heaven, it's my idea of Heaven. What I will enter on that great day is not my idea of Heaven, but God's idea of Heaven. And, the Bible addresses that too. Paul wrote: But as it is written:
​ ​​“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, ​​Nor have entered into the heart of man ​​The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” (1 Corinthians 2:9)

Quoting Isaiah 64:4, Paul let us know that all those things we think of Heaven are likely to be short of the reality. Stuck here, mired here, or assigned here as an ambassador, whichever you feel at the moment, we have very earthly ideas of the place God has prepared for us. While at the same time, God has very godly and heavenly ideas about what is best for us in His Heaven. I shall be very interested to see what God has prepared for us, because I love Him.

Take a bit of time this day to think of the very best Heaven you can, and then realize that what God has prepared is far better.

Bucky

No comments: