Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Uh, What Is That A Sign Of?

Good mid-week morning! Sounds kind of weak, like maybe an attempt to shorten the ol' workweek. Hmm, ever have a house grow in your dream? A friend let me into his home in my dream, and it was nice and rather large; say, in the 3,000 sq. ft range. A big home, but not a mansion by any means. However, when I woke up in the dream, I couldn't find my way out of the house. Rooms with people staying in them occupied what I thought was the front entry. After asking me about buying a house, a man told me my truck was, "12 minutes that way." Wait, what, 12 minutes? A person can walk at least a mile in 12 minutes, probably a mile and a half or more. I dreamed a house that grew to something more than a mile to walk out in at least one direction. What is that a sign of? Approaching insanity probably, maybe I'll forget to mention that one to my counselor.

As we studied the Revelation, we read many signs and wonders. While it is tough to tell from this side of the Tribulation, some signs are literal and others are metaphorical or figurative. As we read of yet another earthquake in the news this morning, we know that Jesus told us in Matthew 24 that these would come, a literal sign that is fulfilled. The 1,260 days in Revelation 12, 13, and 17 are most likely literal time spans. Peter did say that a day is as a thousand years to God, but we shouldn't take that as 1,260,000 years for the time the two witnesses will do their thing. The 75 - 100 pound hailstones unfortunately are likely to be literal, though we might wish for something a bit less crushing. However, we also read of signs like the woman standing on the moon and clothed with the sun. If that sign is literal, it will be hard to miss a woman of such dimensions. We can safely call that one figurative, but with God literal is certainly possible too.

Signs are tough. We may like to see signs, even yearn for God to show us one. We may also be terrified that He would give us a sign. Most dreams are just dreams, and we shouldn't use them as a guide to our day. The Scriptures are far better guides. Prayer is a more sure means of communication with God. Walking with Jesus is our sure pathway and His light is in His word.

Love in Christ,
Bucky

No comments: