Saturday, April 12, 2014

Content, Not Complacent

Good Saturday! A day that we often get up just a bit more slowly than during the working week. Have you ever dreamed of bathrooms? I don't mean a house with one or two, or even three. No, this dream was of a condominium home with about 20 rooms, 12 or more of these were bathrooms in my dream. Bathrooms with huge showers, including benches and chairs, and little bathrooms with combined shower stalls and toilets, something like an RV might have in it. And of course, all sizes in between, all very bright, white, and clean. I think that sometimes God likes to have some fun with me in dreams. I have wanted to remodel a bathroom downstairs in my house; I have a dear friend who wants to remodel hers, and I have been looking at bathroom pictures at work for my website development. All of that seems to have combined into a quite humorous dream of a home that must be some plumbing contractor's dearest wish. I have to ask though, is my wish to remodel a bathroom a lack of contentment in my situation?

A bathroom may do its job, and we may be content. However, I don't think that to be content in what God has provided need be the same as complacency. God gave us minds and brains, and we are to use those for His glory. This world is fallen along with man, and things are far from perfect. I believe that we can be content, as Paul had learned, and yet not be complacent in how things are in the world. Imagine politics or government if all Christians were content and complacent. To be content with God's material blessings, I don't believe means that we must complacently accept what is obviously not as good as it may be with some effort and resources. God may indeed give us something that is less than optimal to see what you or I might do with it. Perhaps, the best thing the Lord gives are those things that we can improve on with the work of our hands and minds. No home we are blessed with will be perfect so that God may bless us with work to improve and enjoy together with Him.

Imagine the place Jesus has prepared for us in Heaven is not perfect as we think it should be, but is a complete mess in every way. However, God does not expect us to complacently accept, but would have us to work with a certain carpenter to remodel and restore and have a good time in making this place a beautiful heavenly home. Yes, that may well be Heaven as God knows it.

Enjoy your Saturday in Christ,
Bucky

No comments: