Monday, April 14, 2014

Pray and Walk Away

Hmm, should be "Return to Winter Devotional" But, the sun is coming up way over where it doesn't shine in winter. What is wrong with this picture today? Power outage yesterday morning, snow, wind, but look how late it stayed light in the evening; what is wrong here? I have all these great ideas for devotionals...until I stand before the computer monitor with an empty head. (Contrary to popular opinion this is not a normal condition.) Ah well, pray and walk away! That is not just a rhyme to encourage play. We often shoulder the project or task solo, as in trying to do it without the Lord. We get bogged down, or stuck, or stumped, or whatever word we want to use for coming to the end of what skill or strength we possess. To pray is to admit to the Lord that we need His help, that we need Him in our work. Walking away allows us to let go of that control we so desire in our earthly nature.

Jesus invited those with heavy burdens to come to Him. There was more in that command though than just coming to our Lord. "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) Promises and comforts such as, "learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart..." sound like the best kind of teacher. Of course, what could be a better promise than the Son of God affirming that "I will give you rest."

Bring your burden to Jesus on this cold Monday morning,
Bucky

No comments: