Friday, April 25, 2014

A Cleanup Day

Good Friday morning! It's cleanup day here in the little town. I don't see much waiting for pickup down the alleys though. It may be that every house is already pared down to just the essentials, or that all is valuable, functional, and necessary for living, recreation, and play. Yeah, right, that sounds like the American homes I've been in, sure it does. How many of those same homes have full garages, full basements, attics, storage sheds, and off site storage barns? We tend to accumulate a lot of stuff. An annual cleaning up day is probably good for us. If not to throw out stuff, at least to consider what could be sold in a yard sale or auction, or dare we say it, donated to those in need. Oho! Why does my soap box say, 'materialism, on it this morning? What is that noise I hear from conscience?

It may be because I knocked apart and hauled out some furniture pieces that I had saved for one of those projects that never get started. So, now I feel qualified to get on the ol' soapbox and preach a little. Um, hmm, a little gaze around the homestead may reveal some clingers of my own. Stuff I don't need, don't use, and don't even remember why I held onto may even now be hollerin' "Hypocrite!" I suspect that if all preachers, teachers, and writers in the Word ever refused to take up any subject in which he or she was not completely and totally right with God we wouldn't have very many devotionals, sermons, or books to read and hear. All of us need grace, and more often than not, a devotional subject is or has been a problem for me too. Perhaps that 'lesson of the log' helps us to develop understanding and sympathy before we take up the preaching.

Have a great and wonderful today in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: