Monday, April 28, 2014

Someone Like Me?

The April showers have arrived this morning. I seem to recall hearing the wind much of the night. This morning the article opens with what is supposed to be a shocking question: "Still think STDs are something that can't happen to someone like you?" (Women's Health) Why yes, actually, if the past several years are any indication of the future, my risk is quite the lowest. Ah, but there is the problem for someone like me, or for someone like you. The past is no reliable indication of what tomorrow may bring. An area of life that appears safe from temptation one day, may be the area the enemy brings out his big guns in tomorrow.

Someone like me may feel safe from a particular sin today, and then be gasping from the speed of my fall into that very sin tomorrow. The devil seems to love pulling the rug out from under a Christian standing confidently, but foolishly, on the throw rug of past success. What feels distant on the threat board today, may be a major enemy tactic tomorrow. Job sat easily at the dinner table one day, then the messengers began arriving.

All that is needed to throw life into seeming chaos is the right set of circumstances. A little overwhelming stress, one too many phone calls with bad news, and suddenly the child of the King finds himself in the fight of his life. Forget for a moment to call upon the Savior, and the hands may reach out for something seductive that appears to offer relief. Sex, drugs, rage, grumbling, and all the other things that have tempted humans since near the beginning of Creation are still here for us to fall into, especially if we think we got it made in that particular area of sin. Yes, someone like me is vulnerable to most anything the world throws at me...when I try to stand on my past success instead of in Christ where I belong.

The grace and peace of our Lord Jesus to all,
Bucky

No comments: