Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Glory of His Name

Good Tuesday morning! Do not chew a stick of sugar-free gum before having your morning OJ! I shudder to remember the taste. The gum is better described as artificially-sweetened than sugar-free, but I'm not in charge of labeling. Does it matter that much what we call God? I read a book not too long ago where a different name was given to God and it was said that God's name wasn't important. I don't think the Bible says that.

2 Chron 7:14 "If My people who are called by My name..." I 'spect it would be helpful to have that name narrowed down a bit. Certainly to that group of folks the name of God will matter very much.

Exodus 20:7 "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain..." Here it would be critical to know just what name is not to be taken in vain, "...for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain."

Gen 4:26 "Then men began to call on the name of the Lord." Kinda helps to know which name to call upon there...

Lev 24:16 "And whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death." Yikes, that is one harsh penalty if the name of the Lord is not important.

Psalm 113:2 "Blessed be the name of the Lord from this time forth and forevermore!"

Psalm 116:4 "Then I called upon the name of the Lord: 'O Lord, I implore You, deliver my soul!' " Sounds like this psalmist would care very much what the name of the Lord is.

Isaiah 50:10 "Who among you fears the Lord? Who obeys the voice of His Servant? Who walks in darkness and has no light? Let him trust in the name of the Lord and rely upon his God." If I am going to trust in someone, I want to know that name. Maybe the New Testament?

Acts 2:21 "And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." A person calling out a name for rescue wants very much to know the name and get it correct.

This is but a few of the many verses referencing the "name of the Lord". In all cases the verses speak of respect, honor, and reverence, or, of the penalties for doing the opposite. I would have to say the Bible sets forth the importance of the Lord's name rather emphatically. As usual, that other book must be denied and God's Word believed. Give praise to God for the glory of His name!

Bucky

No comments: