Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Wicked Heart - February 18, 2009

Good Wednesday morning! The snow is falling once more, but not like last week. We have just a dusting of snow on the ground. Have a wonderful day at work or school, they won't call it off for this little bit of snow! :-) I read in an article where a man thought that he would have accomplished something better had the authority in charge listened to reason. Isn't it always that? If 'they', or that other person, or a spouse would just "listen to reason", they would see that I am right. We see it in the media all the time. The one who disagrees cannot see reason, or they don't have an open mind, or they are not "right" thinking people or some other expression of disdain. We might be tempted to try winning an argument by disparaging the other person's intellect, but this isn't right. Yesterday we had a good discussion in our little service group. No one called the other person a name, no one belittled the other's reasoning ability, we simply agreed to research the issue in the Bible. That is what we strive for in Christ. We will not always agree on everything in Christ during this lifetime. We may not agree on everything in Heaven! However, we always love each other as Jesus commanded.

I notice that when the authorities won't "see reason" it usually involves the bending or breaking of a rule. I wonder how many of us have tried to excuse the breaking of one of God's commandments by saying that "God will see the reason" or something to that effect? I have heard expressions like "God knows my heart" used as an excuse for some sinful action, I might even have tried to use it myself at some point. However, the Bible tells us that no one needed to tell Jesus about human nature. That is true, and we are also reminded that the heart is desperately wicked in Jeremiah. Do we really want to use what is in our hearts as a reason to excuse a sin? Until Jesus finishes the work of making our hearts completely new, we will fight that old lust of the flesh. God does know what is in our hearts, and at the moment... it ain't always good.

Okay, it has been sitting out there, the Gentle Answer blog site that is, and I haven't started answering questions yet. Hold me accountable; let's get this started today. I look out and I see a cliff, but when I take that first step of faith, I'll bet that I will step onto a gentle incline leading to greater knowledge of our Lord Jesus.

God loves you, just as you are.

Bucky

No comments: