Saturday, February 28, 2009

Seek First - February 28, 2009

Good Saturday morning! The covering of snow looks wonderful in the bright morning sun. A great good morning to all! A man I used to work with out at the Sidney distribution center, Leo Noble, turns 70 years old on this day. The reason I remember his birthday is that he was born on the same day as someone else... which makes my mom 39 years old today! Yes, you might ask how my mother could be 6 years younger than I am, but that is the medical mystery of maternal aging. :-) Ours is not to question why, but to stop counting birthdays when we are told. I realize that some of you might remember the Barr papers. Those are the short stories I wrote about the birthdays of one Sharon Barr some years ago. In those I made comparisons to Sharon's birth and the Jurassic period and other age related jokes, or smart remarks depending upon one's point of view. Today I won't do that to my dear mother. With all of those decades behind her, she deserves a break. :-) God loves you Mom and so do I!

Speaking of the passing of time, at what age do you think we will stop feeling like a little kid lost in a big world? I don't mean physically, we all feel the effect of the years in our bodies. But mentally, how well do you understand the world and all the people in it? I'm forty-something and I don't even understand my cats all the time, let alone all the people and problems of the world. I wonder of Methuselah had that problem? Do you suppose he knew everything he needed to know by the time he made it to 400 years old? 500? Probably not. We tend to hope that when we reach a certain age or condition we will then have it made in this life. Perhaps a doctorate degree will make us knowledgeable about life, but then we hear someone with a Ph.D behind their name spout off about something and prove that wrong. So maybe it's two doctorates that will fix us up just fine, but then what if that isn't enough? Money, that's the answer; we need lots of loot and then we will be set. No? Then a depression or recession or succession or revolution or some other "...tion" rolls in and suddenly money is no security. Some might say that if you have your health then you have everything. We pray for our health and enjoy good health when we have it, but is that really the answer to all the ills in this world? How does my health help someone else? Today the devotional from Love Worth Finding shows the answer to all of these questions. Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness!

God bless you on this fine Saturday morning!

Bucky

No comments: