Friday, February 06, 2009

Not Enough Yet - February 6, 2009

Good Friday morning! Today we start with an apology to Burt and Brenda, I really thought they were on the devotional list! We all know what happens sometimes when we really, really think something; yup, we end up really, really wrong. The life group had some wonderful brownies last night, and I didn't make them. The credit goes to Cheryl if I'm not mistaken (again). Speaking of wrong, have you ever tried a new recipe, worried about one thing and then found the problem somewhere else? The recipe called for 2 1/2 flour. That's it, no cups, ounces, pounds, teaspoons, or other units. I assumed cups, but I suspect that a little thing about "self-rising" might have been omitted as well. The cakes look like 2 giant cookies on my kitchen counter. Ah well, if I knew everything about everything and didn't have love, what good would I be? So, wrong once more in not even a day, and I am supposed to be starting a blog to answer questions about Christ? If that doesn't show all of us that I must trust only in Christ and lean not my own understanding then I don't know what will! :-)

The answer appears today in Pastor Rogers' devotional, surrender to Jesus first. As we have learned in our lessons on service, you and I may not feel ready to serve in the capacity that we are called. Does a missionary go out knowing that he or she knows everything already? Does every minister enter the profession with full knowledge in all situations? You and I have entered service, and I'll bet we knew right off the bat that we didn't know enough. However, God tells us that HE knows enough, and that we need to get to it. If a minister cannot lead the singing, perhaps holding a tune is not one of his abilities, then God will send a singer. If a missionary feels the call to go overseas, but cannot speak the language, then God will send her the gift of tongues or a translator who also wants to serve. As we have all heard before, none of us will be given all of the spiritual gifts and physical abilities that exist. Did you ever realize that the Bible does not speak of Jesus leading the apostles in a rousing chorus of "Standing on the Promises" or "How Great Thou Art"? It could be that singing was not one of the tasks given to Jesus by our Father in Heaven. While this doesn't mean that Jesus and the apostles did not or could not sing, we should take comfort in that even in that group they didn't mention all of the gifts of the Spirit.

I am picking on the gift of singing only because that one seems to be the one most often mentioned as a shortcoming whenever we gather together and talk about spiritual gifts and abilities. Singing a solo is tough, not all are called to do that. We admire those who do it well and feel pity for those who do it, but not well. I've heard singers on television or on CD that made me start covering the glassware. Sometimes we need a person with the gift of discernment to step up and let another know that singing may not be one of their gifts! :-) Each of us needs the suggestions and feedback of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Sometimes this may be painful to hear, but more often it is a shared blessing as the Spirit comes among us.

Have a great Friday in Christ and a better weekend in the love of Jesus !

Bucky

No comments: