Monday, October 24, 2016

Shining Brightly or Sinning Darkly?

The hail of June 27th ruined a switch on the streetlight next to my house. So, for the past four months I've enjoyed a street light that lights up in the dark, then goes out, returns to a dim glow, and then lights up once more, repeating this pattern all night long. It reminds me of my struggle with sin in this life. I am certainly hoping that my periods of shining brightly with the light of Christ's love are growing longer and the periods of sinful darkness much shorter, but it can be hard for me to tell. As for the other part, I think all of us can see the connection between me and a dim bulb.

So, am I shining brightly or sinning darkly? Both of course, for the fight between the old man of the flesh and the new man of the Spirit goes on. Even Paul the great apostle complained of doing those things he no longer wanted to do. How can we possibly be saved with this fight going on? One might well say that this fight between the flesh and the Spirit is the sign that we are saved, reborn in Christ. Without the Spirit in us we are back to obeying the law as best we can, or at least trying to not get caught. Without the Spirit we are at peace with the world. With the Spirit we are at peace with God.

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. (Romans 6:1-2)

We are justified by faith, not our actions. It may be that I will be convicted by the Spirit of sin right up to the very end of this life for one reason - to prove to me that I cannot save myself. Rightly do we say: Jesus saves!

Rejoice in the love of Christ this day!
Bucky

No comments: