Monday, October 17, 2016

God's Physics Still Work

Proven! Yes, last week for one lunch, I set up a primitive lever with a sandwich on one arm and a serving of cottage cheese on the other. I set the plate, rather stupidly I might add, on a fulcrum and when I picked up the sandwich, the cottage cheese flopped over onto the floor. God's physics still work. No miracle stopped the cotto-flop in midair; I still had to clean up the mess I made. What does the Lord's Word have for us regarding consequences this day?

But those who neglect to celebrate the Passover at the regular time, even though they are ceremonially clean and not away on a trip, will be cut off from the community of Israel. If they fail to present the LORD’s offering at the proper time, they will suffer the consequences of their guilt. (Numbers 9:13)

Guilt, uh oh, not a very good companion to walk with on a journey of any length. Guilt can bring on depression, anxiety, and other dreadful conditions. We don't want guilt around as a consequence of our action or failure to act, therefore it would seem that obedience is a better path. Wait, are we not freed from the law? Yes, Jesus did free us from the law of sin and death, but we don't get to do anything we want without consequence. If you drive your car into a tree, the front end will get rumpled up. If I fail to put gas in my truck on an as-needed basis, one day the truck will stop running for me. Our decisions bring consequences and the Lord loves us enough to let us suffer them.

Yes, we can think back on life and consider how much we have learned from consequences. Some of those lessons are quite tough, but without them we would not have learned some basic wisdom; often stated as, "I'll never do that again!"

God bless you on this Monday morning!

Bucky

No comments: