Thursday, February 16, 2017

A Man Causing Pain

Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested. (1 Chron 4:9-10)

You might think yourself born with a painful name; many people don't like their birth name for lots of different reasons. How about if you were born with a name that means, literally, 'He will cause pain'? Jabez must have understood the implications of his name for in the next verse he makes a great prayer to God, "...and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" That is a prayer for the ages!

Some of my most shameful memories are of times that I caused pain to another person. And then there are those other times that I don't realize until years later that I caused pain because of my selfishness, indifference, or ignorance. With the prophecy of his name ringing in his mind, Jabez called out for the Lord's help to avoid these very things. Yes, I could have made good use of this prayer decades ago. Many a time I have put the 'bless me and enlarge my territory' part to use, seems I can hardly stop doing that bit, but the love Jabez shows in praying that he not cause pain through evil has not always been in my heart.

You and I may not be able for reasons of time or distance to do good works for someone (We can always pray on their behalf!), but starting with an earnest prayer to not cause pain to our loved ones is a great start to loving your neighbor as yourself.

I pray for each of you to enjoy a pain free day in Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: