Tuesday, April 26, 2016

A Letter From um...Before

In this age of computer insecurity, you've probably received an e-mail from a long lost friend who is apparently doing some work in a far, far away country who is suddenly in deep trouble. Thugs have taken his wallet, britches, purse, satchel, wife, car, plane tickets and teddy bear. I don't have to guess at this, there is one in my inbox even now that I am using as a model. I'm not sure why they hire contractors from Kansas City to work in the Philippines, but there it is. Scott is in trouble and I must pull out all the stops to help him in his hour of, what is that subject line? Oh, yes, in his terrible ordeal (HELP, complete with several exclamation points). Whatever other trouble he is in, it seems that at least one of his punctuation keys is sticking (and he is travelling with his teddy bear which can't be a good sign).

We all have our troubles, and scams like this don't help us to help one another. We have been trained through this world-wide graft or grift or whatever the latest term is to suspect almost everything that comes through our communication channels. Funny though, I think Jesus warned us of this sort of thing long before we were born. Yes, I know you couldn't read the Bible before you were born, but Jesus has His ways.

“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves." Matt 10:16

Wise as serpents? Yes, because serpents don't want to get stepped on by big lumbering people they wisely stay out of the way or give warning of their presence. Jesus told His disciples and us to be alert. Looking around the Internet for just a bit is all it takes to convince me that I am indeed a sheep amongst the wolves. Mostly because I try to get away with using words like 'amongst'; it's a dead giveaway to the wolf population. Fortunately, I can't think of a single person in my life who would use the words 'terrible ordeal' to get my attention or seek my help. I guess I can let that one go for now.

Have a great Tuesday in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: