Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Timelessness of the Good News

...does not depend on me. Happy Thursday! I am glad today that my belief in Christ brings justification with God. It does not depend on how I feel today or how I felt on Tuesday. (Thank God for that.) Charles H. Spurgeon wrote this morning on the believer gaining justification right now. Well, yes, he has been dead for more than a century, like 1892, so maybe he didn't write this morning. However, I did get the devotional from him this morning. Have you noticed how things are getting sort of timeless these days? I can sit down at my computer, hop on the Internet and read the words of Jesus, Spurgeon, the apostle Paul, Augustine, C.S. Lewis and A.W. Tozer (who both passed the year I was born), and many others as though they had written them this morning and sent out e-mails. Have almost 2,000 years passed since the time of Christ or not?

Even in more recent times, one can turn on the television and watch shows that were filmed in the 1960's as though they were produced last week. When television showed a Bonanza episode back then, the only hope of seeing it if you couldn't be home was a rerun during the off season. Now, I can sit down and watch them all if I so desire, even to the point of turning into a big puddle of goo in front of the television monitor. We have trouble imagining the missing of a show on television and never seeing it again. So, tell me again why I sometimes think that the words and actions of Jesus happened so long ago that all is distant history and I don't feel His presence right here and now?

I get the impression today of time compressing. It seems this morning that maybe the ascension of Christ and His return are just about to come together, and the past nearly 2,000 years will be as a fleeting headache. All that pain forgotten in a moment of timeless joy as our Savior, our Champion, appears in the sky to bring us home. The good news of Jesus Christ made timeless in moment of joyous reunion. Amen!

Bucky

No comments: