Saturday, May 03, 2014

My Happy Birthday

Good morning! As the sun shines through another breezy day, I realize that this is the 16th birthday since the prodigal came home. Birthdays, I think, are a bit more special after something nearly stops the normal sequence of marking off the years since birth. Living becomes more precious when a close view of that grim spectre (I like to call him 'Morty') passing by, but not quite stopping, graces life. Why alter the flow with a cute nickname? Well, it just doesn't do to receive extra years from my Lord and then spend them in morbid fear of the shadow of Death that Jesus conquered so many years ago.

Morty likes to bluster and threaten. Many in the world flee his presence with every ounce of their strength. On the other hand, it does not do for us to embrace the ugly thing by constantly moaning to Jesus to 'take us home'. The world condition we see in the news does not lend itself to learning to enjoy being here, but I believe that is what our Lord would have us accept. Yes, we are to yearn to be with our Lord, but at the same time He wants us to love one another. The bride, the church, longs to see the groom, our Lord Jesus. Yet, we also must long for one another. We do that by suffering and living and rejoicing together.

At one time, I felt that birthdays might be just as well ignored. Now, I am glad to celebrate. We are here together. Morty has been allowed to separate some over the past year, and in spite of him we look forward to our eternal reunion. Morty is a silly character in that he can hurt, but cannot win. Jesus already holds the victory. I'm 51 today! At the tender age of 35, I shook hands with Morty, but he was not allowed to separate me from those I love. Now, I am learning to enjoy being here in a world that, though fallen and cursed, still belongs to God the Creator. We may not belong in this world in the condition it is in right now, but one day we will see it renewed.

Have a happy birthday with me in the love of Christ!
Bucky

Ha, ha, oops! Forgot to post this yesterday! I must be going over the hill this year.

No comments: