Monday, May 05, 2014

Do You Suppose Jesus Knew?

And... there is a Monday after the big 51 birthday. Just when you think nothing stranger can happen. At what age do Mondays get banned? Shouldn't I be old enough now to start the working week with maybe a Funday, ya know, the one that comes right after Sunday? No? Ah well. Years and years ago, I used to get picked near the last for teams at recess. Then, I joined the Marine Corps, went to boot camp, and enjoyed the very same privilege. Do you suppose that Jesus knew way back when that many of us would know the sting of being chosen last in this world?

Even in a job search, if a person does not get the job, that is the same as being chosen last, or worse, not being chosen at all. We feel the sting. You're not suitable. I was looking for someone with a bit more experience. How 'bout the dating thing? I was looking for a man/woman with something else. You're not my type. I'm not ready to settle down yet. All ways of being chosen last or left out just like that playground time back in the day. It hurts emotionally and physically to be left out or put down. Of course none of us would force something as important and long term as a marriage on someone just to avoid hurting. Jesus knew then and He knows now that we will get hurt in this world.

The usual advice is to 'let it go'. I'm not all that usual, so I'll give some different advice. Take it to Jesus. Talk it over with our Lord in prayer. Yes, if the playground thing still hurts, talk it out with the Savior. Jesus knew we would suffer a lot in this world, and He said so in John 16:33. Jesus may have something new to say to you on this day. Something like, "Little child, I chose you!"

Bucky

No comments: