Thursday, March 27, 2014

Hey! I Think a Mistake Has Been Made

Yaargh! Plain Jane the Brain Drain and the Empire of No returned in a dream! Save me! Just to set your mind at ease, 'Jane' is not a human female of any age or appearance. There's my politically correct disclaimer for the morning. Here I am, well fed and happy, ready to start the day with a devotional message. Sputtering about, brain-drained, no ideas coming forth, the dream Jane having done her work all too well. Hey! I think a mistake has been made somewhere. I'm not this writer who can produce a devotional every morning on demand!

We are reborn in Christ. Then we have a mission in Christ. At some point in that life, most of us will come to a pinnacle of doubt. I'm not that person in that calling. How did I get here? We may be doing the same job as before our rebirth, or we may have moved into a new calling, but that dull, bland peak of doubting comes along whenever it feels like testing us. Having served with passion and talent for several years, perhaps several decades, the Christian is stuck in glue. I can't preach another sermon, there's no more in me! I can't sing before people; why did I think I could? It happens.

Years ago, I stated that I would not go through one or two of the stages I heard in a sermon on Christian growth. "Don't need to do that," I confidently repeated to myself. If any Christian needs humbling in any way, of course God is only too happy to run 'im through a particular season to get the desired result. Whether that stage involves doubt or boredom or a complete change of situation, our Lord will make sure that we get exactly what we need to grow into full Christian maturity. Poor Christian might even find that he must go back for a time to a place he thought left behind forever.

No, I'm pretty sure the Marines won't have me going to boot camp again. Probably wouldn't survive it this time around! If you must go back for a time, trust in God even more than the first time through. Have a great Thursday in Christ!

Bucky

No comments: