Friday, March 21, 2014

A Step, And The Journey Begins

Good Friday morning! How is your bracket doing? Colorado got sent back to classes yesterday. Oklahoma is due in school this morning. Will Nebraska do any better today? Some people are wondering what in the world I'm writing about this morning. The big college basketball tournament is the only time of the year I pay attention to NCAA basketball. I'm just not much of a fan of the sport. Even during the tournament I only pay attention to read about the big upsets, and there were 3 good ones yesterday. Now, this devotional is not about sports except as they relate to our life in Christ. And I don't have any startling analogy that fits this morning, so I had better get on with the main show.

As I began sputtering about not writing much of anything, I asked the Lord to help me out here. The Lord told me that He was ready to go, but that I wasn't going much of anywhere yet. Yes, taking that first step is a big responsibility on any journey. The prodigal had to not only decide to go back home, he also had to overcome the inertia to stay in the awful place he found himself. Abram couldn't become Abraham without getting that first step toward the promised land out of the way. When Israel refused to cross the Jordan, God sent 'em out to the wilderness to wander for forty years. Not taking that first step has consequences. Israel took a lot of steps with no other reason than to get the faithless ones out of the way. I don't want to be faithless to my God. So, when a step in faith is required, I trust that God will give me the strength to get the journey underway.

Praise God for Fridays!
Bucky

No comments: