Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Eyewitness

Good morning! Hey, my first testimony of the day. Yes, in saying that it is a good morning, I can either give my testimony that it is indeed a good morning, or I can write a useless greeting that means nothing. Why then, would you believe anything else I write if I type out a 'good morning' as nothing more than a couple of general words to get the typing fingers moving? Exactly, you wouldn't and I shouldn't, my devotional is my testimony and every word must come from my eyewitness.

In telling stories from my days of yore, some may seem easy to doubt. It is easy to pad a story with a few details or descriptions to make it seem more exciting that it was during the actual events. When I tell a story, I can easily understand some doubt. When I give my eyewitness testimony, I rather like to be believed. An eyewitness testimony is more than a story for entertainment. Matthew wrote down his gospel as an eyewitness saying in effect, 'these things actually happened when I knew Jesus.' We go out to give our testimony in the same way. The problems come when our testimony is so wonderful in some way that it sounds a lot like one of those stories of days gone by.

Matthew referenced prophecies from of old and showed how Jesus fulfilled them. People of the time had trouble believing his testimony. Some of my testimonial tales may be hard for those who were not there to believe as well. As the years go by, memories pile on top of memories and it can be easy for the doubter to suspect that I've lost my marbles. There was a big marble auction out at the fairgrounds over the weekend, possibly some of mine got mixed in and sold. However that may be, it remains an insult to the eyewitness to doubt the testimony. Stories from back in the day, especially those involving fishing or hunting, may be subject to a certain skepticism. Testimony is a cause for listening and learning. Of course, to make sure we are showing the love of Christ, let us fact check our testimony that we not give good reason to the doubters. After all, we have no need to embellish the work of Christ in us. When a sinner becomes a disciple by the sacrifice of the Lamb, adding embellishment only diminishes the awesomeness.

Have a wonderful Wednesday in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: