Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Trip to The Cinnamon Shoals

Good morning! I just made that place up, but it has a nice sound to it. (I might have made up something similar last March, and the one before that...) We might imagine an island where cell phones do not work and pagers fail to buzz, but we have full access to the Internet at any time. The breezes are cooling but not chilling, the weather is a nice 75° at night and 85° in the daytime. A person there can sleep on the beach and not fear ATV's, cars, sand fleas, skeeters, or the tide. Sharks are not allowed in the lagoon of Cinnamon Shoals, so the swimming is fine in a body of water that is cool in the afternoon but warm in the morning. Science has no explanation why hurricanes and typhoons avoid this particular island, and no earthquake has ever been noticed. The inhabitants are glad to serve, but know also when to leave a person in peace and solitude. The island cuisine is tasty, and for some unknown reason causes body fat to melt away. Best of all, Cinnamon Shoals outlawed daylight savings time many years ago.

March is the tail end of winter in the northern world and we may find it easy to fantasize about warm places and less work. For many, March is the third month without an extra day off for a holiday and spring just won't quite spring. Winter weight is hard on the body and worse on the mind, but the weather has not yet warmed enough to get out walking on a steady basis. We might be caught staring outside, but most days are too windy, too cold, or just plain windy and cold. Life would be so much better if it wasn't so much like life right here and now! Then Paul told us to learn to be content in our circumstance. Why did he have to go and say that? But Jesus said that whoever despises his life in this world will find it. Did we choose to walk a narrow road or what?

Of course, we despise our inclination toward sin, and strive to be content in our current situation to the glory of God. It's like a fantasy that somehow goes astray. I dream of the beautiful island, but then I want my laptop or something with me that requires electricity like a full home entertainment center. Cords stretch across my beach, and a mice library to pass the sunny days would be good too. Whoops, I guess that's in case the mice I keep around for the cat want to read in their little cage. For my pet is on the beach too, even if it has too much fur to be comfortable in my fantasy paradise. Soon, a car to get back and forth to that little native chain store for more stuff would be nice. And who is this quite attractive woman winding her way through my aisles of stuff on my perfect beach? Hmm, my perfect March fantasy has gone from a bit of idle dreaming to a whole lot of trouble with the Lord's Law. Do you suppose that is why I am to be content in this circumstance where I live now?

God bless and keep you,
Bucky

No comments: