Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I'm Not Exactly Alone In This

Good Wednesday morning! A watch or a warning, who will get the most snow this time? The problems in my life are a part of God's testing of my faith in order to grow it from a mustard seed into a mighty tree. I like to list my problems and tell God how bad I have it. God points to His Son and asks if I really have it so bad. If social media had a 'like' page for each of my problems, I would also find that I am not exactly alone in any of them. Even the combination of my problems would have a legion of fans saying 'Yeah, that's me too!' Sure, the complete list of mountains to overcome by faith would narrow the list down quite a bit, but that is still not what makes me unique.

If my set of problems cannot define the unique me, no matter how much I want to think it does, then something else must be the answer. That theory about evolving from primordial sludge offers no path to uniqueness. I mean, wouldn't we all look the same by now? Even my physical characteristics are not going to make me special in this world. Look hard enough among 7 billion or so individuals and almost everyone can find a look-alike person. Perhaps I shouldn't try to find something that makes me unique, and alone, but what I like to share with others in this world.

What I like is to have faith in Jesus. Doubts, fears, and worries are very common, but complete trust in Jesus is hard to find. Some days I must read the scriptures pretty hard to keep up my faith, but that does not make me unique, it just makes Jesus very special. The scriptures on faith are not difficult to find, but the distractions of the world are very in-your-face. The scriptures test me too, but that does not make me unique either. The answer may be in not trying to become a unique individual.

In Christ, I become unique through no effort of my own. God created me in His own will and way. My surrender to Jesus came through a special set of circumstances tailored and timed just for me. God did the same for you. The testing of my faith takes place under God's careful control and is made to fit my talents and abilities with the addition of Christ's strength to overcome and endure. That situation does not make me unique, because God is doing the same in your life. It seems that my effort to make myself unique may only result in weirdness. However, giving my life, my self, and my all up to Jesus makes me unique through His effort and love. The question on my mind should not be about how unique I am right now, but how special you and I will be when Christ presents us to His Father in Heaven as finished creations of His loving hand.

May the love of Christ be especially real to you this day,
Bucky

No comments: