Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Get Trusted To It

I am noticing a lot more daylight in the mornings, that must mean that it's nearly time for the pre-spring messing with the clocks.Somehow, that vague group of power hungry clock-setters 'they' would have us just get used to it. A voice on the telly described the state of the professional writer as broke and starved for an idea. I can vouch for that, but I don't like trying to 'get used' to being broke. It's hard to pay the bills that way, for one thing. It's much harder to give and be generous, and a whole lot of other things too. This morning, I decided that I don't want to get used to it, but that I need to get trusted to it.

We could say that the apostle Paul was a professional writer. Paul wrote that he had learned to be content in plenty or in poverty, whether he had much or little. Learning this skill was no doubt a difficult road for him. Given that he had to learn to be content, I can guess that there was a few times where he cried out to God reminding our Lord about things like provision, love, and perhaps how much easier it would be to trust with a full belly and a few books to read. In Proverbs 30:7-9, a man named Agur spoke a bit of wisdom that is good to recall:

​​Two things I request of You
​​(Deprive me not before I die):
​​Remove falsehood and lies far from me;
​​Give me neither poverty nor riches—
​​Feed me with the food allotted to me;
​​Lest I be full and deny You,
​​And say, “Who is the LORD?”
​​Or lest I be poor and steal,
​​And profane the name of my God.

Admit it, we tend to ask God for riches in this life, and we most definitely want to avoid poverty. Those prayers come to all of us, but how many of us learn to ask for neither? Learning to be content goes right with learning to trust in God fully - in the times of small numbers in the bank account as well as those times when we have plenty to give and share. Don't be so sure that one is more difficult than the other!

God bless you on this great day in Christ!
Bucky

No comments: