Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dry Air is Hard to Breathe

Good morning! I'm a little late this morning. I went to a Bible study group that meets at 0630 on Tuesday for the first time this morning. We (I get to say that now that I made one meeting) are studying Daniel, one of my favorite books in the Bible. As I walked home, I learned once again that dry air is difficult to breathe. That may seem obvious to, well, almost all of us, but sometimes we need a reminder. The sinus passages dry out, your throat gets a little scratchy, and other unpleasant symptoms clamour for attention. Reading about the condition on the Internet, I see that a simple scarf across the nose and mouth can help a body retain a little moisture to make breathing more pleasant. Scarfs (or is that scarves?) have gone out of style at times, but I may need to ask the Lord for one. That brings up another question: What in the Christian life seems obvious to all, but has been let slip in my life or your life?

Each of us may have something that the Bible calls us to do regularly but that we have let slip over time. For some it may be daily Bible study, or praying constantly, or meditation on God, or a host of other things. For others it may be the Golden Rule, or loving one another, or paying attention to loving God first in all things. A sneaky idol may come into our lives and careful examination finds God taking second place when He commands pre, uh, preem - how many e's and i's in this word? - preemininence - whoops, spell checker says I blew it - preeminence. That's what I get for trying to put a big word into my devotional and sound smart.

Daily we must recommit to Jesus, because daily our sinful past tries to reassert dominion. We must make habits of the good things Jesus tells us to do. Good habits are of course those actions that require but one or two days of inattention - there I go with those words again - to suddenly stop for weeks or months.

Enjoy the day in Christ Jesus!
Bucky

No comments: