Sunday, August 10, 2008

How Much? - August 10, 2008

Good morning...again. I have enjoyed one of those weekends. You know the ones. You expect a relaxing weekend at home, but for one reason or another you get woke up each night. I don't even get the luxury of blaming work, only circumstance. Last night an alarm went off in my home; an event guaranteed to bring me close to actual levitation. The alarm only rang twice that I can recall, but I could find no reason for the alarm and couldn't even tell which one might have done the alarming. I know the who, as in who was alarmed, but not the why. As in the night before (Saturday morning) I read a book for a couple of hours or more, and tried to calm down enough to go back to sleep. The night before, I had even less reason for waking up, but felt refreshed at 0230 when I woke up. I made it to Wal-Mart at 0500 and Safeway at 0600, something even the Army doesn't manage. All this means that I am writing in a state of "punchy" this morning. Praise God for coffee. Yes, you're right... I drink decaf. I can still praise God for coffee though. :-)

Today, we might ask God, "How much is enough?" We have probably done it before, usually in a moment of trial or stress. Sometimes we just want to know how much more we might have to endure in this life. I suspect that none of us have ever received a quantifiable answer to that. Only Jesus knew exactly what was required of him, and he suffered because of that knowledge. You and I probably do not want to know what is left for us in this life of trial and refinement. The knowledge would most likely cause a great despair to overcome us. How much is enough? Whatever God sends in this life is not only enough, but is in just the right amount. God gives us His strength to endure what comes in this life. Many times I have heard it said, and even written it myself, that we must come to the end of ourselves to find life in Christ. I still believe this was true for me and I am blessed because of it. When problems seem to overwhelm our own strength, that is when we find the strength from God in each of us to go on, to endure to the end. Jesus reminds us that "I will never leave you nor forsake you..." That is a strengthening promise if ever I heard one! So how much is enough? However much it takes to bring us to complete faith in Christ.

God loves you and so do I!

Bucky

No comments: