Friday, August 22, 2008

Director of Spiritual Development - August 22, 2008

Good Friday morning! ...and we're back. May God have mercy on us today. Do you find yourself asking forgiveness from God often? I certainly do. It seems that when compared with Christ's glorious standard I fall woefully short. The question comes to mind that if I have been saved, why am I not more like Christ now? How easy it is to ask critical questions of our Lord! The truth is that we are no longer in charge of our spiritual development. How far along the way we have come is not up to us. How could it be when we do not even know how to get there on our own? Every time we try to make it on our own, we will find that our progress is not up to even our own standard, much less the standard we see in Christ. When we catalog our own sins, we are concentrating on the wrong target. The Bible tells us to look to Jesus, not at our own sin or performance. It seems that on my worst days, I find that I have once again tried to elect myself as director of spiritual development. Of course my performance is bad all around when I try to do that! It is difficult to "let go and let God", after all we have to give up that pride that is trying to strangle our Christian growth. However, each of us can give up that pride and let Jesus direct our spiritual growth. Jesus not only knows the way, He is the Way.

Have a great weekend in Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: