Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Too Many Wives? - April 22, 2008

Good Tuesday morning! How would you like to be the judge in whose court the polygamy trials down in Texas have landed? Wow, what a confused mess that must be! Wives, children, and lawyers by the score all clamoring for attention in some way, or trying to avoid the attention entirely in some cases. I do like the colors of the dresses that I have seen in some of the news photos. That's me, amateur fashion critic. This world does tend to produce some complicated tangles in its social situations. How do you decide between freedom of religion, in this case one that believes in multiple wives, and the policy against polygamy? If I recall my history correctly, I believe that Utah was once declared to be in rebellion over polygamy, with federal troops sent in to put down the "rebellion". It is still a strange and sexist turn of the worldly mind that so many religions have believed in multiple wives, but I cannot think of one that has allowed multiple husbands. In this, I think that women have proven wiser than men, as most women would remind us, "who could stand more than one husband in the first place?" Yes, men, I am putting us down once more.

What I see in the Bible, and I do know that the example of Abraham is most often used to justify polygamy, is that Jesus said that one man and one woman are joined together. There was one Adam and one Eve, one Joseph and one Mary, and one Christ and one bride, the church. While our lust of the flesh may lead us to attempt to rationalize polygamy, it seems to me that it is wrong for us to do this. This is one area where further research is needed. Prayer is the first place to go in a situation with doubt and conflicting views, and I am sure that God has more to say on this if we will kneel down and ask Him.

Have a wonderful and blessed day in Christ Jesus!

Bucky

No comments: