Monday, September 21, 2020

Joy In Speaking?

A man has joy by the answer of his mouth,
And a word spoken in due season, how good it is! Proverbs 15:23

Now there is what I strive for! A work spoken through my typing fingers in due season is a delight and reward for my efforts. Monday morning devotional messages on the other hand seem to be among the more lifeless of my writings. As for the answer of my mouth, what person doesn't like a good snappy comeback at just the right time? Um, no, probably not what Solomon collected that proverb for. The wise king of Israel likely saw in it the perfectly timed word of the Lord that heals and encourages. The sort of word that compares to our usual words as a cool drink of water to a thirsty worker compares to the sudden deluge of ice water that causes a person to gasp in pain. Our words in our human strength and understanding often come out joyless and ill-timed. It is so bad with us that most of us fear public speaking above all other fears. 

So, how is it that God's prophets and preachers had and have such great words at just the right time? Yeah, that one is not such a tough one for us: they are God's prophets and preachers of course! It is the word of the Lord spoken or written through us that is well-timed and full of joy. Those other writings, well, those are my fault, probably the days I think that I know something. The days when the joy of the Lord shines through my writing, are of course the days when the joy of the Lord shines through! My, my, I'm really Capt. Obvious today. 

The mangy mutt next door is shouting out his 'Hallelujah' too. Rejoice in the Lord always!

Bucky

No comments: